THE NEEM - everything about neem!
AZADIRACHTA INDICAFamily- Meliaceae
English- Margosa tree
Nimb, pichumard, arishta, hinguniryas, sarvatobhadra
The tree of neem is 40-50 feet tall, the stem of which is thick and rough, on the outer side its colour is brown whereas inner side is yellowish is colour. As it grows old, on a very slow pace it produces a fluid called NEERA.
Other parts of it, leaf, leaflets, flower, fruit are very rich in nutrients thus very useful.
Chemical composition found in neem
1. Limonoids- nimbin and azadirachtin
2. Bitter principle- margosine
3. Tannin and salts of Calcium, potassium, iron etc.
4. Fixed oil having pranin(spermicidal contraceptive)
5. Amino acids
Gunkarma of neem (properties )-
Guna- laghu (light)
Rasa- tikta (bitter) and kashaya (astringent)
Virya- sheet (cold potency)
•HEALING PROPERTIES OF NEEM-
1. KAPHAPITTA SHAMAK
- Neem suppresses the qualities of pitta and kapha.
Some properties of pitta include buring, hotness, heaviness etc.
Some properties of kapha include- heaviness, laziness, manda etc.
- It has the ability the prevent the growth and maturation of micro organisms.
- Neem prevents the formation of acne and pimples. It also reduces the redness caused by skin disorders.
- Any dosha or deformity stuck in the body could be taken out by the consumption of neem.
- Neems stops the process of decaying, removes the bad odour.
- Margosa is an amazing anti-inflammatory.
7. KANDUGHAN and KUSHTGHAN
-Neem prevents itching and other kinds of skin disorders like eczema, psoriasis etc.
- Neem promotes skin lightening and desired skin tone.
- It proves to be one of the best Blood Purifiers. It cleanses out the toxins from blood and promotes the formation of good blood cells.
- Various kinds of Urinary Tract Disorders are preventable by the consumption of neem in various forms.
- Be it sugar control or diabetes, Neem always proves to be effective.
- Neem also calms fever of various kinds.
•PARTS USED OF NEEM TREE-
The stem of Neem is loaded with salts of calcium, potassium, iron etc.
According to ayurveda, it is also called as DANTUN
In the earlier times, this was used to clean the teeth.
In modern times, toothpaste is made out of it.
Neem works excellent in curing tooth pain , tooth decay and other disorders.
This part of the tree is vastly used.
Many derivatives and sub derivatives of neem leaves are made to enjoy relief over a number Of diseases.
CLINICAL USAGE of NEEM LEAVES
• The neem leaves with Amla churna is mixed with ghee and given in the diseases of shitapitta. (Urticaria)
•Neem with the patol is used in psoriasis.
•Itching, burning, boils, acne, pimples, eczema every skin disorders includes usage of neem.
•In Shirokreemi (migraine), neem in its various forms is used.
• Kamla (jaundice) also includes the usage of neem leaves in the form of churna or swarasa to see relief.
•Amlapitta ( kind of Vomiting) Is also cured by the consumption of neem.
• Arsha ( piles) is cured by swaras of neem in the prescribed dosage.
• In Vibandh (constipation) neem tablets are used, sometimes it is mixed with the mint formulations.
• Firang (tremors) are relived by the neem prescribed dosage.
• Bahumutra ( Excess urination), Neem is well proved in this field of disorder, the best solution for all urinary diseases can be neem.
•Daurbalya (weakness) is also an area where neem works magic.
BEAUTY USAGE OF NEEM LEAVES
Take a few fresh neem leaves, blend with 1/4th cup water and make a paste as shown in the image.
Now you can use this paste in a lot of ways to cure acne, pimples, eczema, psoriasis, dandruff, oily scalp, lice etc.
For the face pack,
Take 2 spoon of this paste, add lil turmeric and 2-3 leaves of tulsi. This works amazing to make flawless and glowing skin.
For the hair pack,
Take 4 spoon of this paste (modify according to length) add 3 spoon of curd to it, half a lemon and 2 spoons of aloevera gel. Enjoy silky hair and fresh scalp.
The fruits are very rich in oil having pranim which is a good spermicidal contraceptive.
The olive like small fruits are sweet in flavour.
In the earlier times they were chewed like a sweet snack.
They are known to cure digestive issues and also helpful in eye disorders and tooth disorders.
Besides, it is used to make oil which is a good insecticide and pesticide.
A few drops of this oil can keep all the mosquitoes 🦟 insects 🕷 and pests lizard 🦎 away!
Churna (powder)- 2 to 4 gm
Leaf swaras (juice)- 10 to 20 ml
Tailam (oil)- 4 to 10 drops
•Other trees similar to neem-
1. Mahanimb- Melia azedarach
2. Akashnimb- Mellingtonia hortensis
3. Parvatnimb- Swetenia mahogny
4. Ghodanimb- Ailanthus excelsa
5. Mithi neem- Murraya koenigii
6. Jalnimb- Bacopa monnierii
7. Bhuninimb- Andrographis paniculata